Docks Bruxsel is strongly committed to sustainable development. During the design and construction, the environment was at the heart of our concerns and as a result the centre has achieved BREEAM certificate of excellence.
We are continuing to keep the environment in mind with a new series of measures that makes Docks Bruxsel one of the most sustainable Shopping Districts in Europe:
- 4500m2 of solar panels providing the centre with green energy
- Natural ventilation throughout the centre due to the automatic opening glass roof system
- Glass roof that reduces energy consumption
- Rainwater is filtered via a green roof and collected to be used for cleaning and watering the plants
- The centre is equipped with waste compactors which reduces volume removed
- All tenants sign up to a ‘green charter’ in their lease agreement, which commits to a series of measures reducing their energy footprint
- An energy recovery system that saves 1,600 MWh each year, enough to heat 1,300 homes!
- As part of our partnership with social enterprise BeeOdiversity, Docks is home to approximately 80,000 honeybees in the two hives on the centre’s roof