Docks Bruxsel is strongly committed to sustainable development. During the design phase and construction works, the environment was at the heart of our concerns and we took steps to ensure that we protected it throughout the process.
Our efforts during the construction phase allowed Docks Bruxsel to achieve BREEAM certification for the centre’s design.
We are continuing to keep the environment in mind with a new series of measures that make Docks Bruxsel one of the most sustainable Shopping Districts in Europe:
- 4500 m² of solar panels to fuel the centre with green energy
- Natural ventilation and air conditioning thanks to a clever aeration system built into the large glass roof covering Docks Bruxsel
- The magnificent glass canopy provides natural light that is not only more pleasant for visitors, but also greatly reduces our energy consumption
- When signing their lease agreement, companies renting a property at Docks Bruxsel agree to comply with a “green charter” that includes a series of measures designed to reduce their business’ energy footprint
- Rainwater is filtered via a green roof and then collected to be used for flushing toilets, cleaning the facilities and watering plants
- The centre is equipped with waste compactors that make rubbish significantly less bulky and therefore make transporting it more efficient
- Docks Bruxsel saves 1,600 MWh each year, enough energy to heat 1,300 homes, thanks to a clever energy recovery system